“Your work tells tales. It speaks about you, your values, your hope, your ambitions, and ultimately what you deem worthy of your energy and attention.” – Todd Henry
Did you know that each of us encounters an average of 5,000 commercial messages daily? Add to that daily media consumption of more than eight hours and at least another eight hours of work, and it’s easy to understand why so many media experts call our times the “attention age.” In world seemingly filled with noise, how do you stand apart from the noise and makes yourself heard?
Todd Henry, founder of consultancy The Accidental Creative, believes you can cut through the clutter by finding your unique and authentic voice, which will enable you to reach a focused audience and convey your message to the people that matter. In his book Louder than Words: Harnessing the Power of Your Authentic Voice, Henry outlines in practical steps how to find your unique expression.
“Developing your voice requires (a) a willingness to embrace curious exploration of your life and work, and (b) the grit to persistently do hard things that have no immediate payoff, trusting that the benefits will come over time.”
To get started, Henry encourages readers to identify what they truly stand for, develop a compelling vision, and become masters of expressing ideas in whatever media they choose. The explorations and strategies discussed in Louder Than Words are well presented and organized. He offers exercises and true stories that illustrate the five attributes of resonant work:
- Authenticity: Uncover the narratives that are at the core of your personal and professional identity.
- Uniqueness: Identify what makes your work distinct from that of others, and learn to creatively package and present your message.
- Consonance: Cultivate internal consistency and harmony in your work.
- Empathy: Listen to your audience s aspirations and struggles to make your message more compelling.
- Timing: Learn how to coordinate your work with ideas that already have cultural momentum.
Henry also discusses all the things that hold us back, such as fear, our inner narratives, and personalizing the rejection and setbacks that we face. Louder Than Words is a brilliant resource for individuals and organizations who are looking to find and develop their own unique voices. In Henry’s words:
“We need to overcome this fear of insignificance and replace it with a mindset of contribution.”